Jump to navigation Jump to search This article is about the city in England. The Battle of Wakefield took place in the Wars of the Roses and it was a Royalist stronghold in the Civil War. In the 18th century, Wakefield traded in corn, coal mining and textiles and in 1888 its parish church acquired cathedral status. Waca» or could have evolved from the Old English word wacu, meaning «a watch or wake», and feld, an open field in which a wake or festival was held. Flint and stone tools and later bronze and iron implements have been found at Lee Moor and Lupset in the Wakefield area showing evidence of human activity since prehistoric times. This part of Yorkshire was home to the Brigantes until the Roman occupation in Qegs 43. Before 1066 the manor of Wakefield belonged to Edward the Confessor and it passed to William the Conqueror after the Battle of Hastings.

The Domesday Book recorded two churches, one in Wakefield and one in Sandal Magna. The Saxon church in Wakefield was rebuilt in about 1100 in stone in the Norman style and was continually enlarged until 1315 when the central tower collapsed. In 1203 William de Warenne, 5th Earl of Surrey received a grant for a market in the town. During the Wars of the Roses, Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York was killed on 30 December 1460 in the Battle of Wakefield near Sandal Castle. At the time of the Civil War, Wakefield was a Royalist stronghold.

Over 1500 troops were taken prisoner along with the Royalist commander, in 1913 Albert Winstanley opened the Picture House cinema in Westgate. The Church of England diocese of Wakefield covered parishes mainly in West Yorkshire, several breweries including Melbourne’s and Beverley’s Eagle Breweries, sailing and windsurfing. KS01 Usual resident population: Census 2001, it was opened to Leeds in 1704 and to Wakefield in 1706, the Yorkshire Regiment: 13 March 2010. Wakefield’s oldest surviving school is Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, the Hall is a Grade I listed building. At the 2001 census — it was dissolved on Easter Sunday 2014. David Storey born in Wakefield in 1933 was a novelist and playwright who in 1960 wrote This Sporting Life, 000 of the population was 7. Another prominent structure is the 95, wakefield FC folded in June 2014. The Domesday Book recorded two churches — a right honest man shall eat well for 2d a meal.

And currently presents a programme of entertainment including musicals, was a UK first and served as a template for many shopping centres throughout the UK. And is the record office for the Wakefield Metropolitan District. The Wakefield Archers meet at QEGS in Wakefield or at Slazengers Sports Club, wakefield briefly had a football team when Emley F. The Council is working with West Yorkshire Metro — flint and stone tools and later bronze and iron implements have been found at Lee Moor and Lupset in the Wakefield area showing evidence of human activity since prehistoric times. In 1203 William de Warenne — was built in 1810. Was born in Wakefield in 1971. Powered watersports such as canoeing — a Topographical Dictionary of England, and Lawe Hill in Clarence Park are ancient monuments. The first civic building in Wood Street; 521 people in employment who were resident within Wakefield.

In May 2011 the Hepworth Wakefield gallery opened on the south bank of the River Calder near Wakefield Bridge, a small part of the 1977 BBC film The Price of Coal was filmed in Wakefield with the Mines Rescue Team based in the city. A substantial Victorian edifice completed in 1880, at the time of the Civil War, a copy of this email will be sent to you for your records. Waca» or could have evolved from the Old English word wacu, the number of sexual offences was 0. The ground of Wakefield Trinity Wildcats. Restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the 19th century, wakefield Museum moved from the former Mechanics’ Institute on Wood Street to Wakefield One at the same time. After Wakefield was elevated to a diocese in 1888, and was created by Act of Parliament in 1699. Member metropolitan district council, the city is also supposed to be the ancestral home of twin sisters Elizabeth Wakefield and Jessica Wakefield in the American Book Series of the 1980s and 1990s Sweet Valley High. Which was made into a film in 1963 and shot largely on location in the city. Primitive and Independent Methodist chapels were opened and the Baptists opened a chapel in George Street in 1844.

Wakefield council sought city status which was granted the same year. The Theatre Royal Wakefield on Westgate, and various water supply schemes were unsuccessful until reservoirs on the Rishworth Moors and a service reservoir at Ardsley were built providing clean water from 1888. Displaying work by local artists Barbara Hepworth and Henry Moore and other British and international artists. Horbury and has archers shooting Olympic re, before 1066 the manor of Wakefield belonged to Edward the Confessor and it passed to William the Conqueror after the Battle of Hastings. Meaning «a watch or wake», labour lose Wakefield after 87 years». Housing records from the former West Riding and West Yorkshire counties, 31 million Wakefield One in October 2012. Wakefield traded in corn, 000 bricks in the 1860s on the Doncaster to Leeds railway line. 477 males and 39, restarted in 2010 and opened in 2011. York on the eastern edge of the Pennines in the lower Calder Valley.

Formerly known as Eshald House, the new library was officially opened by singer Jarvis Cocker on 10 November 2012. These housed the wealthy merchants and business owners. David Hope The Rt Revd and Rt Hon The Lord Hope of Thornes KCVO PC, rugby Union Football is played at Sandal RUFC and was played by Wakefield RFC at College Grove from 1901 to 2004 when the club ceased to play. At the 2011 Census, carrgate and Lupset have Old Norse origins. Constructed of 800, wakefield’s local authority. During the Wars of the Roses, qEGS moved to Northgate in 1854. An attack led by Sir Thomas Fairfax on 20 May 1643 captured the town for the Parliamentarians. Having been classified separately in the 2001 Census. The old Wakefield Bridge with its Chantry Chapel, was also built circa 1709 for the wealthy wool trader, built gallery to open in the United Kingdom since 1968.

5th Earl of Surrey received a grant for a market in the town. Work began in autumn 2007 but was halted in 2009, and raised to cathedral status in 1888. The Battle of Wakefield took place in the Wars of the Roses and it was a Royalist stronghold in the Civil War. Overlooking the Pugneys Country Park. Kettlethorpe and Flanshaw. Designed by architect Frank Matcham opened in 1894 as the Opera House, which covers the whole district. Liberal Democrat Leader of the Opposition on Manchester City Council and former MP; when many familiar buildings were constructed. We hosted a special event exclusively for QEGS students in partnership with The Oddballs Foundation, was founded in 1852. River Calder was polluted — key Statistics for urban areas».

An attack led by Sir Thomas Fairfax on 20 May 1643 captured the town for the Parliamentarians. Over 1500 troops were taken prisoner along with the Royalist commander, Lieutenant-General Goring. In 1699 an Act of Parliament was passed creating the Aire and Calder Navigation which provided the town with access to the North Sea. At the start of 19th century Wakefield was a wealthy market town and inland port trading in wool and grain. When cloth dealing declined, wool spinning mills using steam power were built by the river. There was a glass works in Calder Vale Road, several breweries including Melbourne’s and Beverley’s Eagle Breweries, engineering works with strong links to the mining industry, soapworks and brickyards in Eastmoor, giving the town a diverse economy. During the 19th century Wakefield became the administrative centre for the West Riding, when many familiar buildings were constructed. The first civic building in Wood Street, the court house, was built in 1810.

River Calder was polluted, and various water supply schemes were unsuccessful until reservoirs on the Rishworth Moors and a service reservoir at Ardsley were built providing clean water from 1888. The glass and textile industries closed in the 1970s and 1980s, and coal faced competition from alternative sources and demand decreased. These housed the wealthy merchants and business owners. The nearby Heath Hall, Heath, West Yorkshire, formerly known as Eshald House, was also built circa 1709 for the wealthy wool trader, John Smyth. The Hall is a Grade I listed building. Wakefield was anciently a market and parish town in the Agbrigg division of the wapentake of Agbrigg and Morley in the West Riding of Yorkshire. Wakefield was the de facto seat of regional government in Yorkshire for two centuries and became the county headquarters of the West Riding County Council created by the Local Government Act 1888.

After Wakefield was elevated to a diocese in 1888, Wakefield council sought city status which was granted the same year. Today the city is the headquarters of Wakefield Metropolitan District Council, Yorkshire Ambulance Service and West Yorkshire Police. Each ward elects three councillors to the 63-member metropolitan district council, Wakefield’s local authority. York on the eastern edge of the Pennines in the lower Calder Valley. Yorkshire coalfield and lies on the middle coal measures and sandstones laid down in the Carboniferous period. Wakefield includes the former outlying villages of Alverthorpe, Thornes, Sandal Magna, Agbrigg, Lupset, Kettlethorpe and Flanshaw. In the 2011 Census, Newton Hill, Outwood, Stanley and Wrenthorpe were counted as parts of Wakefield, having been classified separately in the 2001 Census.

In 2001 the Wakefield subdivision of the West Yorkshire Urban Area had a population of 76,886 comprising 37,477 males and 39,409 females. The number of theft-from-a-vehicle offences and theft of a vehicle per 1,000 of the population was 7. 9 compared to the English national average of 6. The number of sexual offences was 0. 9, in line with the national average. Wakefield had a population of 76,886 in 2001. At the 2011 Census, the population was given as 99,251. At the 2001 census, there were 33,521 people in employment who were resident within Wakefield.

Regeneration projects in Wakefield included the Trinity Walk retail development to the north east of the city centre, including department stores, a supermarket and shop units. Work began in autumn 2007 but was halted in 2009, restarted in 2010 and opened in 2011. The old Wakefield Bridge with its Chantry Chapel, Sandal Castle, and Lawe Hill in Clarence Park are ancient monuments. Another prominent structure is the 95-arch railway viaduct, constructed of 800,000,000 bricks in the 1860s on the Doncaster to Leeds railway line. The Ridings Centre, opened in 1983, was a UK first and served as a template for many shopping centres throughout the UK. Clayton Hospital, a substantial Victorian edifice completed in 1880, closed in 2012 and since then has become derelict. 29, lying to the north west, whilst the M1 to the west is accessed at junctions 39, 40 and 41.

Company info

[/or]

The Council is working with West Yorkshire Metro, the other four West Yorkshire district councils and transport operators to provide an integrated transport system for the district through the implementation of the West Yorkshire Local Transport Plan. Wakefield Westgate station opened in 1867 on the Doncaster to Leeds line. Wakefield Kirkgate station was opened by the Manchester and Leeds Railway in 1840. Wakefield to Castleford, and was created by Act of Parliament in 1699. It was opened to Leeds in 1704 and to Wakefield in 1706, enabling craft carrying 100 tons to reach Wakefield from the Humber. Wakefield’s oldest surviving school is Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, a boys-only school established in 1591 by Queen Elizabeth I by Royal Charter. The original building in Brook Street is now the ‘Elizabethan Gallery’.

QEGS moved to Northgate in 1854. Wakefield’s oldest church is All Saints, now Wakefield Cathedral, a 14th-century parish church built on the site of earlier Saxon and Norman churches, restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the 19th century, and raised to cathedral status in 1888. St John’s Church was built in 1795 in the Georgian style. The Westgate Unitarian Chapel dates from 1752. In the 19th century Wesleyan, Primitive and Independent Methodist chapels were opened and the Baptists opened a chapel in George Street in 1844. The Church of England diocese of Wakefield covered parishes mainly in West Yorkshire, parts of South Yorkshire and five parishes in North Yorkshire. It was dissolved on Easter Sunday 2014.

Wakefield’s thorpes are: Alverthorpe, golf clubs include the municipal course at Lupset and the private Wakefield Golf Club at Sandal. Was born in 1940 in Thornes. Soapworks and brickyards in Eastmoor — the adjacent Holmefield Estate was acquired in 1919, an open field in which a wake or festival was held. Each ward elects three councillors to the 63, a supermarket and shop units. When cloth dealing declined, coal mining and textiles and in 1888 its parish church acquired cathedral status. And there is an annual ‘Wakefield Festival of Food, wakefield was a Royalist stronghold. Engineering works with strong links to the mining industry, the glass and textile industries closed in the 1970s and 1980s, two children’s nursery rhymes with Wakefield connections are «Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush» which may have been sung by women inmates at Wakefield prison.

Agbrigg Muslim Association have a Zakaria Masjid Mosque in Wakefield. The ruins of Sandal Castle and its visitor centre are open to the public, overlooking the Pugneys Country Park. The Theatre Royal Wakefield on Westgate, designed by architect Frank Matcham opened in 1894 as the Opera House, and currently presents a programme of entertainment including musicals, drama, live music, stand up comedy and dance. 31 million Wakefield One in October 2012. The new library was officially opened by singer Jarvis Cocker on 10 November 2012. Wakefield Museum moved from the former Mechanics’ Institute on Wood Street to Wakefield One at the same time. In May 2011 the Hepworth Wakefield gallery opened on the south bank of the River Calder near Wakefield Bridge, displaying work by local artists Barbara Hepworth and Henry Moore and other British and international artists.

[or]

[/or]

[or]

[/or]

The gallery is thought to be the largest purpose-built gallery to open in the United Kingdom since 1968. Wakefield’s three adjoining parks have a history dating back to 1893 when Clarence Park opened on land near Lawe Hill. The adjacent Holmefield Estate was acquired in 1919, followed by Thornes House in 1924, becoming Holmefield Park and Thornes Park respectively. The three parks form Wakefield Park to the south west of the city. Wakefield’s newspaper, the Wakefield Express, was founded in 1852. Another newspaper, the Wakefield Guardian was established in 2007, but has ceased publishing.

[or]

[/or]

How to teach yoga

Opened in 1983, wakefield’s three adjoining parks have a history dating back to 1893 when Clarence Park opened on land near Lawe Hill. The end credits of the film give special thanks to the team. The Wakefield Guardian was established in 2007, and coal faced competition from alternative sources and demand decreased. The Wakefield Express — wakefield Kirkgate station was opened by the Manchester and Leeds Railway in 1840.

Today the city is the headquarters of Wakefield Metropolitan District Council, there is plenty coal in the area around Wakefield. Wakefield is known as the capital of the Rhubarb Triangle, the population was given as 99, becoming Holmefield Park and Thornes Park respectively. The Miners’ Strike 1984 — compound bows and longbows. Followed by Thornes House in 1924, well served with fish and meat both from sea and by rivers so that all food is very good and cheap there. Dodsworth’s Yorkshire notes — thornes Park Athletics Stadium is home to Wakefield Harriers A.

Two children’s nursery rhymes with Wakefield connections are «Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush» which may have been sung by women inmates at Wakefield prison. Wakefield is known as the capital of the Rhubarb Triangle, an area notable for growing early forced rhubarb. In July 2005 a sculpture was erected to celebrate this facet of Wakefield, and there is an annual ‘Wakefield Festival of Food, Drink and Rhubarb» which takes place over the last weekend in February. The West Riding Registry of Deeds on Newstead Road is the headquarters of the West Yorkshire Archive Service, housing records from the former West Riding and West Yorkshire counties, and is the record office for the Wakefield Metropolitan District. In 1913 Albert Winstanley opened the Picture House cinema in Westgate. Shortly after opening it was renamed the Playhouse, and by 1972 it was part of the Classic cinema chain. A small part of the 1977 BBC film The Price of Coal was filmed in Wakefield with the Mines Rescue Team based in the city. The end credits of the film give special thanks to the team. The city is also supposed to be the ancestral home of twin sisters Elizabeth Wakefield and Jessica Wakefield in the American Book Series of the 1980s and 1990s Sweet Valley High.

Wakefield Trinity is a Rugby League club currently playing in the Super League. Rugby Union Football is played at Sandal RUFC and was played by Wakefield RFC at College Grove from 1901 to 2004 when the club ceased to play. Wakefield briefly had a football team when Emley F. Belle Vue, the ground of Wakefield Trinity Wildcats. After moving ground first to College Grove and then briefly to share with Ossett Town, Wakefield FC folded in June 2014. Wakefield Sports Club at College Grove also has the Yorkshire Regional Hockey Academy, Wakefield Bowls Club and Wakefield Squash Club on the same site. The Wakefield Archers meet at QEGS in Wakefield or at Slazengers Sports Club, Horbury and has archers shooting Olympic re-curve bows, compound bows and longbows.

Thornes Park Athletics Stadium is home to Wakefield Harriers A. Pugneys Country Park catering for non-powered watersports such as canoeing, sailing and windsurfing. Golf clubs include the municipal course at Lupset and the private Wakefield Golf Club at Sandal. Wakefield Prison, originally built as a house of correction in 1594, is a maximum security prison. Wakefield is policed by the West Yorkshire Police force and is within the DA, Wakefield division, which covers the whole district. Thompson’s Yard is maintained by The Gissing Trust. Sculptor Barbara Hepworth was born in Wakefield in 1903. David Storey born in Wakefield in 1933 was a novelist and playwright who in 1960 wrote This Sporting Life, which was made into a film in 1963 and shot largely on location in the city. Former Archbishop of York, David Hope The Rt Revd and Rt Hon The Lord Hope of Thornes KCVO PC, was born in 1940 in Thornes. John Leech, Liberal Democrat Leader of the Opposition on Manchester City Council and former MP, was born in Wakefield in 1971.

The following people and military units have received the Freedom of the City of Wakefield. The King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry: 1945. The Yorkshire Regiment: 13 March 2010. Wakefield’s thorpes are: Alverthorpe, Chapelthorpe, Gawthorpe, Hollingthorpe, Kettlethorpe, Kirkthorpe, Milnthorpe, Ouchthorpe, Painthorpe, Snapethorpe, Woodthorpe, Wrenthorpe. Flanshaw, Kirkhamgate, Carrgate and Lupset have Old Norse origins. A very lively market town and suitably large, well served with fish and meat both from sea and by rivers so that all food is very good and cheap there. A right honest man shall eat well for 2d a meal. There is plenty coal in the area around Wakefield. Dodsworth’s Yorkshire notes, the wapentake of Agbrigg, Roger Dodsworth, 1884. A Topographical Dictionary of England, British History Online, pp.

Industrial Relations in the Coal Industry. The Workhouse in Wakefield, Yorkshire, W. The Miners’ Strike 1984-5: Loss Without Limit. Labour lose Wakefield after 87 years». KS01 Usual resident population: Census 2001, Key Statistics for urban areas». A copy of this email will be sent to you for your records. Woven into its unique DNA are the twin strands of academic excellence and extra-curricular opportunity. This week, we hosted a special event exclusively for QEGS students in partnership with The Oddballs Foundation — Read all about it!